A for "Alexanderplatz"
Alexanderplatz is one of Berlin’s most popular places and the largest in Germany. You find numerous stores, restaurants and cinemas there. Named after Zsar Alexander the First, who visited the capital of Kingdom of Prussia in 1805, Berliners often just call it “Alex”.
B for "Brandenburg Gate"
Brandenburg Gate is one of Berlin’s most important landmarks and has been a symbol for the German unity since the fall of the Berlin Wall. Because it was made of sandstone between 1788 and 1791, it is one of the most beautiful examples of German Classicism.
C for "Currywurst"
The currywurst is a famous Berlin dish made of bratwurst and boiled sausage and is either served as a whole or sliced with tomato sauce and curry powder or curry ketchup.
D for "Dom (Berlin Cathedral)"
The Berlin Cathedral is one of the largest protestant churches in Germany and the largest church of the capital. With its striking copula, the Cathedral, which was once the court church of the Hohenzollern, is still a major tourist attraction.
E for "Elsenbridge"
The Elsenbridge is a 185-meter-long road bridge connecting Berlin’s districts Friedrichshain and Treptow across the Spree.
F for "Friedrichstraße"
The Friedrichstraße is a well-known shopping street in the historical center of Berlin. Named after Brandenburg elector Friedrich III, it runs 3.3 kilometers - as a north-south-axis - through the capital.
G for "Goldelse"
On the Großer Stern, in the midst of Tiergarten park, you find the Berlin Victory Column that is also called the “Gold Elsie” by Berliners. The national monument was built between 1864 and 1873 to commemorate the three Einheitskriege (wars of unification).
H for "Hackesche Höfe"
The Hackesche Höfe, situated near Hackescher Markt, is Germany’s largest closed courtyard area. Today, you find designer stores, restaurants, creative offices, apartments and cultural institutions in the listed Jugendstil buildings.
I for "Icke"
When Berliners say “Icke”, they mean “I”. The personal pronoun of the capital city’s inhabitants was even included in the most important German dictionary, the Duden.
J for "Jewish Museum"
The Jewish Museum Berlin is the largest Jewish Museum in Europe. Visitors of the permanent exhibition get an overview of 1700 years of German-Jewish history.
K for "Kollwitz Platz"
Kollwitzplatz is the center of the Berlin district Prenzlauer Berg and focus of the so-called “Kollwitzkiez”. It was named after the German graphic designer and sculptor Käthe Kollwitz who spent many years of her life in Kollwitzstraße 56.
L for "Leipziger Platz"
Once, the Leipziger Platz near Potsdamer Tor was named octagon due to its octagonal shape. Today, it forms a double square together with the western hub for public transport of the Potsdamer Platz in Berlin’s district Mitte.
M for "Mauer (The Berlin Wall)"
The Berlin Wall surrounded West Berlin from August 13, 1961 to November 9, 1989. It had been built to prevent East Berlin’s inhabitants and citizens of the GDR escaping into the west. The Wall was considered to be a symbol of the Cold War and the division of Germany.
N for "Naturkundemuseum (The Museum für Naturkunde)"
The Museum für Naturkunde in Berlin is one of Germany’s largest museums of natural history and science. It exhibits more than 30 million objects.
O for "Oranienburger Gate"
The Oranienburg Gate was one of the 18 city gates of Berlin’s tariff- and excise-wall. It was torn off during urban expansion. Today, you find a crossroad and underground station of the same name in Berlin Mitte.
P for "Potsdamer Square"
The Olympic Stadium was built for the Summer Olympics in 1936. It offers seats for 75.000 people and is therefore Berlin’s largest sport and event location. Today, the stadium is the home ground of Berlin’s soccer club Hertha BSC.
Q for "Quatsch Comedy Club"
The Quatsch Comedy Club Berlin presents stand-up comedy by famous artists and new talents. It is located in the basement of the Friedrichstadt-Palast in Berlin Mitte, close to the Friedrichstraße.
R for "Reichstag"
The Reichstag building at the Platz der Republik in Berlin has been the seat of the German Parliament since 1999. The Reichstag was already built in 1894 but burnt down in 1933. After the German reunification, the building was reconstructed with a cupola according to the plans of the architect Sir Norman Foster.
S for "Schrippe"
Since the late 18th century, Berliners have called their breakfast bread roll “Schrippe”. But when it comes to form and consistency, you will find many differences throughout Berlin. While the East-“Schrippe” is small and firm, the West-“Schrippe” is big and fluffy.
T for "Teufelsberg"
The 120 meters high Devil’s Mountain in Grunewald is a mountain of debris, viewpoint and a national monument. The decayed US-American listening station on the summit can be visited.
U for "Unter den Linden"
Unter den Linden is the central boulevard in Berlin-Mitte. The boulevard runs 1.5 kilometers from Brandenburg Gate to Schlossbrücke (Castle Bridge), passing alongside numerous tourist attractions such as the Zeughaus, Staatsoper (State Opera) and Berliner Dom (Berlin Cathedral).
V for "Virchow clinic"
The Rudolf-Virchow clinic in Berlin’s district Wedding was built between 1899 and 1906 in the traditional pavilion style as an urban medical center. During World War II, it was badly damaged. Since 1995, the clinic has belonged to the Charité hospital and is now officially named Charité Campus Virchow-Klinikum.
W for "World Clock"
The World Clock was installed in 1969 in the GDR on Alexanderplatz. Today, the striking clock system, symbolizing the world, is a popular meeting point for Berlin inhabitants and tourists.
X for "X-Hain"
Xhain is the composition of Kreuzberg (Kreuz = cross = X) and “hain” as in Friedrichshain. It is the name of Berlin’s central district Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg. The smallest of the 12 districts is said to be alternative and creative. It is also very famous for its diverse night and cultural life.
Y for "Yorckstraße"
The Yorkstraße connects the districts Kreuzberg and Schöneberg. It represents one of the central East-West-junctions in Berlin. The Prussian General Ludwig Yorck von Wartenburg lent his name to this street.
Z for "Zoological Garden"
The traditional Zoologischer Garten Berlin is located in the midst of the West-city next to the train station of the same name. It is Germany’s oldest zoo and one of the richest zoological gardens of the world according to biodiversity.